First, congratulations on your new Glass enclosed shower. These beautiful showers are often the centerpiece of your entire bathroom. They can also become an eyesore if you do not keep them clean. There are some tips and tricks to help with your Victorville and High Desert glass maintenance.
Basic Tips for Glass Maintenance
1. Trick – Proper ventilation: During the construction of your bathroom it is important to make sure that you have enough ventilation to keep the humidity in your bathroom as close to normal as possible. This is a trick that will save you thousands of dollars from dry rot repair and mold abatement. Plus, it helps you not have to clean the glass so much. Vern’s Glass offers a surface protection for your shower glass as an option that is applied from the factory. This sweeps the water away from the glass and comes with a 10 year warranty. Vern’s Glass will give you a set of cleaning instructions with your newly purchased enclosure.
2. TIP – Cleaning Utensil: The second trick is to designate a cleaning utensil for the glass care in your bathroom. A soft squeegee or chamois will work wonders. If you spend two minutes after your shower to wipe down the glass, you will be forever free of spots and hard water stains. Two minutes after every shower; it is the easiest job in the house.
3. Tip – Beware the power of Diamonds: Be very cautious about diamond rings. They will crave and scratch up your beautiful glass shower enclosure quickly.
4. TIP – Avoid Harsh Chemicals: Abrasive cleaners are often made with minerals and some of those minerals are harder than glass is. When you clean with abrasive cleaners you risk scratching the glass and over time that can cause a patched, etched look which is not very pleasing. Another problem with cleaners is those that are acidic. Those can cause a chemical etching to occur on the glass too.
5. TRICK – Hard Water Deposits: Hard water deposits are sometimes difficult to remove. Don’t be tempted to use harsh chemicals instead; use a mild solution of vinegar and water. The ratio of 1:5 vinegar to water will create a solution that will dissolve the hard water deposits. Calcium dissolves when it comes into contact with acids. Mild acids such as a diluted form of vinegar should be a perfect cleanser for occasional use.
Avoid using: Ajax, comet and other dry abrasive powders as part of your glass protection scheme. Vern’s Glass hopes that these tips and tricks will help you keep your new glass enclosure looking brand new for decades. Vern’s Glass offers a whole line of glass services to Apple Valley and High Desert residential and commercial customers. Our services range from window replacement to glass repair. Our glass replacement professionals can help you replace a broken pane or an entire window. We customize glass to fit your window repair needs. If you have a glass project, just call us we are happy to answer your questions or provide you with a quote.